A fresh cut arrangement is the best way to decorate your home. Unfortunately, flowers are perishable, hence enjoyment is limited to the time they last. Luckily there is a way to extend their life. This short care tips guide will make your flowers last longer. Just follow these simple steps:
1. Fill a clean vase with lukewarm water.
2. Add flower food to the water.
Alternatively, use a few drops of bleach and one teaspoon of sugar. Sugar provides nutrients for flowers while bleach rids the water of any bacteria.
3. Remove leaves that will end up underwater in the vase.
Weak leaves can be plucked by hand. Tougher leaves and thorns – with a sharp knife.
4. Trim at least half inch of the stem at a 45-degree angle.
Use secateurs. Repeat every time you change the water.
5. Set the bucket in a cool place, out of direct sunlight.
Make sure that no fruits (surprise huh?!) or cigarette smoke is nearby as both contain and emit chemicals that are toxic to flowers.
6. Replenish water frequently.
Change it entirely every 2-3 days.
Studies show that flowers positively impact our emotional health. From increasing compassion to others to reducing stress levels. Proper conditioning and care will extend the enjoyment of your flower arrangements much longer.